How can a pharmacist help me manage my diabetes and heart health?
A pharmacist can help you by:
- reminding you of when to take your medication to get the most benefit
- reinforcing the importance of healthy meals and regular exercise
- providing assistance in understanding what your numbers mean (blood glucose and A1C values)
- advising you when to test your blood sugar
- telling you how often you should test your blood sugar
Pharmacists are often the most readily available health professional in your community and can assist you in a variety of ways. Many pharmacies have automated blood pressure kiosks and can review your blood pressure readings with you.
Some pharmacists even keep a blood pressure cuff in their medication consultation area. They can check your blood pressure upon request.